Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hans Olsen in the HAUS!

I shouldn't tell this story. O.K., maybe I'll tell just a little bit. Last week I accidentally ran across a dining set advertised for sale. No pictures, barely any details. Except it mentioned that the chairs fit into "little cut-outs" along the sides of the table. And I thought, "Huh...that sounds a lot like the famous Hans Olsen for Frem Rolje design." But that would be impossible, right?



Ever delusionally hopeful, I sent my houseboy/husband to investigate, giving him orders to "just get it no matter what". I was getting really strong Danish vibes at this point.



Eventually the owner showed up, and the hubs texted me that it was "kind of interesting". And several hours later I was watching an iconic Hans Olsen for Frem Rolje dining set as it was unloaded into the warehouse.

Note to self: always, always go with your gut!



So, it's a rare model. The table expands with a beautiful, integrated butterfly leaf, and there are six four-legged chairs (the more common version, as seen in top two photos, has a fixed small round table and four three-legged chairs).

The best part (besides accidentally finding it)? Instead of black vinyl, it's got bright blue wool upholstery. And it looks ridiculously good against the teak and rosewood.



I'd love to show you actual pictures of my set, but my camera was just involved in a fatal skate-and-run adolescent incident. Sigh. But I suspect I'll have the pieces cleaned and photographed for auction by next week, so check back!

6 comments:

  1. LOL, I love how you describe the 'fatal skate-and-run' incident. And the table, WOW! I really like it, what a find! Good thing you went with your gut, it's usually right on the money (read 'kick yourself when you don't listen'). Wonder if it's in my price range and if the hubby would like it. Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, how does a million dollars and your firstborn sound? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would have to give you all three of my borns to have such an amazing dining room set in my house, because there are more skate and run incidents than i care to discuss going on around my danish stuff. nice score. mono

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the valuable info you provide to your articles. I'll bookmark your blog and test once more right here regularly. I'm relatively certain I'll be told plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the following!

    My webpage graduate certificate programs

    ReplyDelete

Do you have something to say? I'd love to hear it...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails