Monday, January 25, 2010

Eero Saarinen inspiration and more good design for children





I love this lounge and ottoman set-a sort of cross between Saarinen's Womb and Organic chairs. Simple, curvaceous, and a little Space Age but warmed up by the nubby-textured cream fabric. And since my mind always seems to veer off onto the subject of design for children, this elephant toy/sculpture is a lost goodie by Ray and Charles Eames, designed way back in 1945 if you can believe it. They had children, which I think really informed their desire to produce simple, solid, and affordable good design. Parents are such smart people. Crazed innovators, really. Because we have to be.
And just because I can, I'll create my own little nursery design on the spot, with a Stokke crib and my favorite Scandinavian textile designer Josef Frank's "Green Birds" print from 1944. Wow, just noticed the connection between all these designs. I guess we could call this nursery "Post War Optimism".

fabric photo from Remodelista

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to say? I'd love to hear it...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails